What does it take you to wake up and start your day out of bed in the morning? Is it a steaming hot cup of coffee or the promise of a delicious breakfast, like ancient grain waffles slathered with natural peanut butter? Whatever it takes to allow you to let go of those warm and cozy covers and crawl out, make sure it’s something that gets you fired up about life. Don’t ever be afraid to get fired up, or what I like to call “jazzed up,” about your life and the day, right from the very beginning.
As a restorative yoga instructor and stress reduction specialist, clients often tell me they are unhappy and that they simply don’t have enough time to do what they really want to do. The solution is to become more in tune with your inner desires for happiness and strive to achieve your greatest potential by making the start of the day fabulously grand. The things that make your day feel terrific right from the start can be very simple and do not have to be elaborate at all.
Here are 7 Happy Ways to Start Your Day Jazzed Up About Life:
- Turn up the music. A catchy wake up tune will have you shaking it before any amount of caffeine will. Choose songs that are happy and that put you in a positive mindset.
- Try a coffee meditation. Sip on your coffee slowly and thoughtfully, thinking about every taste and flavor. See how you feel after a few minutes: are you beginning to wake up more, or are you still feeling sleepy? You can also try this with tea or any other beverage. The important thing is that you do this slowly and really take your time.
- Execute a kitchen dance party. This goes back to turning up the music. Put on your favorite songs and on a day when you have more time to move more thoughtfully, think outside the box and make something different for breakfast. You could spend 10 minutes dancing while mixing that bowl of pancake mix, instead of remaining still. This will really help the energy start flowing through the body and will wake you up in no time.
- Relax with breakfast in bed. On the other hand, if you want an even more peaceful morning, fill up a tray with the delicious food items of your choice and get back under the blankets for a few more minutes. Breakfast in bed can feel like a special treat for sure, especially on weekend mornings when time can move a little slower.
- To the sun rising- on a dock. Bring your sunglasses and find a good chair on a deck or a beach front near you and relax into the changing colors of the sky as you watch the sun begin to rise up.
- Shine bright with yoga sun salutations. There’s no better way to be thankful for the sun and energize your body then to do a few sun salutations before your day starts in full swing. Go through the first two sets fairly slowly and then increase the pace from there, finding however it feels right for your body in that moment.
- Set an intention. Before heading off to work or the gym or wherever your next destination is, tune into your thoughts and take a few moments to set an intention for the day. Setting an intention can help align your thoughts with your energy. Starting off positive can help the rest of the day flow more smoothly.
Wherever your morning takes you, even if it’s hectic, try to find something that brings you back to you, your happiness and prepare to get jazzed up!
How do you get jazzed for your day??
Kelly McLendon is a 200 hour registered yoga teacher and writer based in Toledo, Ohio. She teaches restorative yoga, vinyasa flow and prenatal yoga.