Here are some tips that made this my fittest summer ever. By putting them into play now, you can close out your summer with a bang!
But, really they’re tips that anyone who wants to be healthy should take to heart – year round.
1. Do something everyday – You don’t need a hard-core workout everyday, but you do need to move your body. Our bodies were designed to move! Walk your dog, rollerblade, take calls in the office standing up. Try to get some movement in daily. Your body will thank you for it.
2. Drink more water – Staying hydrated is super important for your body. After all, over half your body is made up of water. If you workout you need to replenish the water you lost through sweating. Not a fan of plain water? Try Hint Water, it doesn’t have any artificial sweeteners and it has just a “hint” of flavor.
3. Walk at lunch – Get outside on your lunch hour. Instead of sitting at your desk, or the cafeteria, go outside and take a walk. The weather not cooperating? Walk around your building and just move. Getting outside of the building or just away from your desk for 45 minutes is a great way to refresh and get back to work.
4. Meal Plan – Plan and Prepare. You’ve heard the saying ” Fail to plan, plan to fail”. Plan your meals, including snacks, the night before. Nothing will sabotage your good eating quicker than if you are ravenous and don’t have a healthy meal or snack at hand. Even if you work from home, think about what you are going to eat the next day and stick with it.
5. Eat seasonal fruit – Fruit is a great summer snack. Try and buy what is in season so it is fresh, juicy and flavorful. Have you ever had a raspberry in the winter? Blah, they are shipped in from afar and don’t have much flavor. Try them in July and see how plump, red and tasty they are! What a difference it makes. Even better for you, choose fruits that high a high water content like watermelon. It will hydrate you and fill you up.
6. Mix it up – Your body builds resistance if you take the same class week after week. The body needs to be “fooled” by different workouts to help build muscle. You don’t have to give up your favorite Spin class but add a new class like a strength training class to your workout. Trying new things can keep you and your body from getting bored.
7. Try new things (and keep trying them) – We tend to eat the same foods week after week. Go out on a limb and try one new thing a week. However, don’t try something once and never eat it again. Sometimes you have to work up to it or find the right marriage of flavors like in Greek Yogurt or Oatmeal. Trying new foods will give you more choices and more variety usually means better choices.