When it comes to food, there are 3 “musts” for us – healthy, simple + delicious. We saw these ideas over on our friend Melissa’s site , tried ’em and had to share. They take any sandwich from ho-hum to ta-da worthy! Check these healthy sandwich spreads out and let us know which you like!
- Plain Greek yogurt mixed with 2 Tbsp fresh tarragon, oregano, and thyme creates a versatile herbed yogurt spread.
- Vinaigrette: mix two parts olive oil with one part vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- Goat cheese mixed with 2 Tbsp olive oil, 2 Tbsp minced fresh basil, 1 tsp minced garlic, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Roasted eggplant spread: roast eggplant, bell pepper, and onion with olive oil, salt and pepper for 45 minutes at 400 degrees F. Once cooled, pulse in a food processor with tomato paste and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Homemade tapenade: add ½ cup black and ½ cup green olives, 2 cloves garlic, 2 Tbsp olive oil, and 1 tsp lemon juice to a food processor and pulse for a few seconds.
- Hummus with chili flakes and olive oil.
- Tahini butter: just spread this creamy and savory sesame butter on warm grilled veggies and/or grilled chicken wraps.
- Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto: mix about 20 sun-dried tomato halves, 1 tsp garlic, 2 Tbsp grated Asiago cheese, 2 Tbsp fresh oregano, and 2 Tbsp olive oil in a food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Horseradish: mix peeled and chopped horseradish root with salt and water and pulse in a food processor; store in a small jar and allow to ferment for at least three days before using on your sandwiches.
- Dijon mustard or any grainy stout mustard: this ingredient can stand alone to add flavor to sandwiches with sliced cheese, poultry or fresh vegetables.
- Avocado mixed with pickled jalapeño and lime juice.
- Homemade barbecue sauce: 1 cup tomato sauce, 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard, 2 Tbsp soy sauce, 2 Tbsp honey, 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste.
- Corn relish: corn, bell peppers, onions, and vinegar. Chop all ingredients and mix with vinegar.
Which will you try?
Melissa is a nationally recognized nutrition educator, Registered Dietitian, Certified Diabetes Educator and wellness expert. Check out her recipes, fitness, nutrition, and gardening tips and sign up for her free e-guides at www.melissashealthyliving.com. She is the creator of the Super Crew kids and founder of www.SuperKidsNutrition.com, where she helps grow healthy families and communities through national partnerships. Melissa advocates for balanced nutrition at all ages, as it plays an essential role in spiritual, physical and mental health.