A delicious alternative to traditional oatmeal! Baked blueberry oatmeal.
Preparation time: approximately 15 minutes
Total cook time: 35 – 45 minutes
- 2 cups rolled oats or gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup toasted and chopped walnuts or sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 2 cups organic milk or unsweetened almond milk (or other non-dairy alternative)
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons of ghee or coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly (can also use ghee or coconut oil)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen both work well
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Coat the inside of an 8×8 square baking dish with coconut oil spray or an alternative chemical free cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, half the nuts, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
In another medium bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, half of the ghee or coconut oil, and the vanilla.
Arrange the bananas in a single layer in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle two-thirds of the blueberries over the top. Cover the fruit with the oat mixture. Add the milk mixture over the oats and make sure it is evenly distributed throughout.
Add the blueberries and the remainder of the walnuts on top.
Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until slightly set and browned on top. Remove from the oven and let cool.
Refrigerate overnight. When ready to serve in the morning, top with additional sliced fruit and coconut oil, if desired. Enjoy!
Nutrition per serving (1/8 of the recipe): 190 calories, 28 g carbohydrates, 7 g fat, 6 g protein, 219 mg sodium, 7 g sugar, 5 g fiber
Courtney McGowan is a freelance writer living in San Diego, CA. She is a graduate of Boston University’s Master of Science in Health Communication program and currently works at the University of California San Diego in Research Ethics. She enjoys writing, cooking, NPR, reading and running. She strives to educate others about various topics in health and wellness. Twitter: @courtasee // Instagram: @courtneym913 //www.linkedin.com/pub/courtney-