Long hours exercising and big gym memberships aren’t necessary to sculpt the arms and shoulders of your dreams. By including combination and multi joint moves that are part of a total body program in your routine you’ll be able to get an efficient workout in 20 minutes that produces impressive results.
Benefits of these types of exercises are:
- They make us better movers
- They’re better at protecting our joints
- They work more muscle groups at a time (you’ll work a little more than the shoulders and arms here)
Give this quick arms and shoulder workout a try.
- 2 dumbbells of challenging weight
Warm up by going through the actual workout with a lighter weight than what you would use for the workout at a slower pace.
Set your timer and perform as many rounds as you can in 20 minutes
Rest for 1 minute between each round.
- Squat with an upper cut (works: shoulders, abs, quads, glutes, legs):
- Hold the dumbbells at each sides of your shoulders with palms facing each other and elbows bent
- Lower your body into a squat
- On the way back up, twist your stomach, hips to the left
- Punch with your right hand up to the left driving from your feet
- Return to starting position
- Repeat on the same side 12 times before switching
- Forward and side shoulder raise (works: shoulders, arms):
- Stand with feet shoulder width apart with dumbbells hanging down by your sides
- Extend your arms out in front of you
- Bring your arms back down to your sides
- Extend your arms up and out to your sides
- Bring your arms back down and repeat from the second step
- Perform 12 reps of these
- Jumping Jacks (works: shoulders, calves, cardio):
- Keep the abs tight with controlled movements
- Perform 15 jumping jacks
- Runners (works: cardio):
- Run in place as fast as you can
- Bring your knees as high as you can
- Drive with your knees
- Perform this for 30 seconds
Don’t forget to stretch and cool down at the end of your workouts.
Stay committed to your health and happiness,
A New York and New Jersey based fitness professional who was recognized as “2009 Top Rising Star in Personal Training” by the National Fitness Hall of Fame and Museum and creator of Peak 20 Workout, Natasha Linton designs individualized fitness and lifestyle programs that guarantee results leading to high client satisfaction. Natasha’s philosophy for an enjoyable and healthy life is finding ones unique individual balance. Various media outlets have recognized her as the fitness advisor on a number of topics. Linton is certified by the International Sports Sciences Association. Learn more at NatashaLinton.com
photo credit: Pete Bellis