Have a hard time drinking enough water?
Here are how 15 top nutrition experts stay hydrated and how you can too!
1. “Always drink a glass of water when you wake up! By starting out your day with water -it’s a great reminder to stay hydrated throughout the day.”
– Melissa Halas-Liang, MA, RDN, CDE, founder of SuperKidsNutrition.com
2. “Although it creates more dishes, I like to keep empty water glasses next to places I find myself more often than not throughout the day. For me, that’s at my desk, next to the bathroom and kitchen sinks, and next to my nightstand. That way when I’m working, making meals, getting ready for the day/night, and unwinding with a book in bed, I’m reminded to fill up that water glass! ”
– Katie Serbinski, MS, RD, founder of Mom to Mom Nutrition, LLC
3. “I like to mix it up with different drinks, like iced coffee, sparkling water (big fan of my soda stream!), and squeezing fresh lemon into iced water. I always have a glass of water, or water bottle, next to me as a reminder to stay hydrated. I also always bring water into meetings at work, since you never know long they’ll go!”
– Heather Caplan, RD of Spright.com
4. “To stay hydrated I add it to my to-do list! It sounds silly but adding each glass to my list makes me feel accomplished once I mark it. Soon, it becomes habit.”
– Carlene Thomas RDN, LD of Healthfully Ever After www.healthfullyeverafter.CO
5. ” I am a big advocate of investing in a water bottle you really love or using some cute straws in your water glass. These things make it easy to stay hydrated throughout the day!”
-McKenzie Hall, RD and co-founder of NourishRDs
6. “I drink at least 16oz of water first thing in the morning before I eat or drink anything else and that helps start my day the right way. I also have a 16 ounce jar filled with water next to me all day long. Each time I drive somewhere, I take water with me. After years of doing this, it’s amazing how different I feel when I don’t drink my water each day.”
-Christa Mantey RD, LDN of ChristaMantey.com
7. “I get totally bored with plain water. I need to add flavor. So I add a splash of apple cider to my cold water or seltzer. I often squeeze in limes. And to get 9 cups a day, which is almost impossible I carry ice water in the car and have it in sight on my desk. I use often a 16 oz cup with a cover and straw. Like my daughter’s Syracuse cup. Which reminds me of her while she is at school!”
– Emma Fogt, MBA, MS, RD, LDN, FAND of EmmaFogt.com
8. “I make an effort to always have a water source within reach. Whether it’s my reuseable bottle of plain water or a bottle or can of flavored water, the more often my eyes land on it, the more likely I am to drink it!”
– Lindsay Livingston, RD of TheLeanGreenBean.com
9. “My strategy is to splurge on fancy water bottles. I am much more likely to stay hydrated when I have a fun water bottle that I like to look at on my desk or in my bag. It’s just one of those things that I feel is worth the money.”
– Ayla Withee, MS, RDN, LDN of BostonFunctionalNutrition.com
10. “Drinking 8 cups of water a day has always seemed like a huge obstacle to me, but only drinking 2 water bottles?…Not a problem! So I bought a 32oz water bottle and set a goal to drink bottle #1 before 12pm and bottle #2 before 8pm. By having these reminders, I’m able to stay on track with staying hydrated which makes a huge difference in my energy levels during the day. Also purchasing a soda stream for at home has been life-changing and makes drinking (bubbly) water way more fun!”
– Kristen Carlucci RD-N, Registered Dietitian-Nutritionist and Wellness Coach for Bloomberg LP of www.KristenCarlucci.com
11. “I make a batch of “spa” water every night with my infuser pitcher to enjoy the following day. I place various scraps of fresh herbs, vegetables, or fruits to make my own flavored water with. My favorite combos are lemon slices and ginger, cucumber and mint, and strawberry and basil.”
– Alexandra Caspero, RD, Nutrition Consultant at DelishKnowledge.com
12. “I set my alarm on my phone to remind myself to drink a glass of water because when I’m wrapped up in a project, I can forget to do many important things like moving and staying hydrated. I also make sure to have “entertaining” water available to appeal to my taste buds. My personal preference is sparkling water with a little fruit like lime or lemon.”
– Sarah Koszyk, MA, RDN, Dietitian/Sports Nutritionist, Founder of Family. Food. Fiesta.
13. “I use one glass a day, and every time I drink I immediately refill it. When I have a full glass of water in front of me I am more likely to stay hydrated throughout the day.”
– Kelly Powers, RD of KellyEPowers.com
14. “On a daily basis, I keep a jar of water on my desk, in plain sight. I measured it and I know it contains two cups of water. During my office hours, I make it my goal to drink two full jars of water to keep me hydrated.”
– Manuel Villacorta, MS, RD of WholeBodyReboot.com
15. “For me, the key to staying well hydrated is making water as appealing and visible as possible, and having a hydration goal. I keep a favorite glass filled with ice-cold water on my desk and aim to empty it 3 times throughout the course of the day, once in the morning, again with lunch, and once more in the afternoon. Doing this keeps me hydrated and guarantees I get at least 48 ounces of water in before I head home for the day.”
– Elle Penner, MPH, RD of AccordingtoElle.com
Do you have a tip on staying hydrated? Tell us in the comments below!