“My Ten Food Thoughts for 2016” was originally posted by hint Founder & CEO, Kara Goldin, on LinkedIn here:
I’m frequently asked what I see as the top Food and Beverage trends for a healthier life. Running hintwater.com has allowed to hear directly from consumers all the challenges that they see in front of them for having a healthier life. Whether its weight loss, diabetes or other health concern, or just wanting to drink more water, everyone wants to get healthier and everyone wants to know what they should do. While I don’t believe there is any magic bullet, I think the most critical thing is this. You always need to be careful — looking for the best organic, non GMO, pesticide free ingredients. You also need to be careful about portions. And LIMITING the sweets (be it from sugar or sweeteners like Stevia) as well as the sodium are KEY! And at the end of the day, don’t beat yourself up about what you ate or drank earlier today or yesterday. Focus on now and tomorrow! Here is to a great 2016 and here is the countdown!
10. Avocado! Avocado toast unarguably clogged our instagram feeds this year, but in 2016 it’ll be all about the avocado oil. You heard it here!
9. Bowls Ramen bowls, buddha bowls, kitchen sink salads, it’s all about converting healthy eats into a big ol’ bowl eating affair that’s healthy, quick, and customizable. And filling too!
8. Vegetables Just when we thought veggies couldn’t get any cooler, 2016 will be the year of putting vegetables at the center of the plate. I just bought this awesome vegetable noodle maker for the holidays. Put a little warm, homemade tomato sauce on top of zucchini noodles and you are ready for chow!
7. Real foods that can save your life! 1 in 3 Americans has diabetes or pre-diabetes and you could be one of them without even knowing it. The best thing you can do to maintain your health is to say no to processed foods and sugary drinks. Sugar in beverages and processed foods can quickly show up as fat inside your liver and other organs, interfering with their natural function. While whole foods, such a whole piece of fruit, can contain sugar as well, they tend to have naturally occurring fiber and other attributes that help avoid the quick hit of sugar that can cause lasting damage. So, enjoy real whole food, savor every bite and stay away from foods that have sugar as an ingredient.
6. Fruit-infused water over sodas and sugary drinks Of course as the founder of hint water I had to put this obvious one in but seriously –soda, teaspoons of sugar in sugary drinks, and diet sweeteners are so out. The consumer cares about real and as they increasingly become more aware of what they’re actually putting in their body, natural fruit-infused waters, like hint water, will be sought after or made at home.
5. coffee, tea or even hint kick? Caffeine is here to stay and general consensus is that its probably good for most people, in moderation, as long as its not part of a sugary or diet-sweetened drink. We know that most people don’t love unsweetened coffee or tea and a ton of folks are really struggling to kick the diet cola habit. So, a few months back we launched hint kick®️with caffeine from green coffee bean extract. With 60 mg of natural caffeine per bottle and none of the sweet stuff, hint kick is perhaps the cleanest simplest pick me up on the market. Its available right now at drinkhint.com and will be in many fine retailers in 2016.
4. Gourmet delivered Say sayonara to pizza being the only fare that could show up at your front door. With apps like Uber Eats & Postmates now your favorite healthiest and trendiest restaurants are delivering. And for those looking for easy cook-at-home meals, you can get pre-measured and prepped ingredients delivered in a box and ready to cook.
3. Bento boxes & snacks People love snacking and people love portable. With more and more folks trying to get healthier, bringing meals from home will become that much more the thing to do. And cute bento boxes will make the process fun.
2. Gut health! Whether you get them in a capsule or in a food or beverage, probiotics can help keep your gut is heathy and keep you feeling your best. Look for more products to clearly state how much probiotic is in there.
1. Grocery Online. Consumers have been shopping online for years, but 2015 saw strong growth in online grocery and direct-to-consumer sales, as more frequently-consumed items became available for delivery to the home. Convenience and selection are the main driver of this trend, but in 2016 look for brands to build stronger relationships with their online consumers, offering unique content and items and information their consumers can use. The best news is that for up and coming brands, promotion online drives growth both online and in stores.
Kara Goldin is Founder and CEO of Hint Water, the fastest-growing flavored water in the United States. Kara started Hint when she couldn’t find a healthy water that tasted great without questionable additives like sweeteners. Hint Water has 0 calories, 0 sugar, and 0 diet sweeteners and can be purchased online at www.drinkhint.com in a variety of flavors including Blackberry and Watermelon, in both still and sparkling. Kara just launched NEW Hint Kick for those who want caffeine, but not any added stuff like sugar and diet sweeteners. Hint Kick has already received rave reviews from the NY Post and BevNet.