ADD BETTER PICTURE
While visiting your local nail salon may be considered a (highly-anticipated) ritual, the wear and tear from toxic removers, constant cutting and filing, and other unsafe practices can take a toll when it comes to the health of your nails. If your nail beds appear broken and brittle, you may want to forgo your appointment as it’s important to give your nails a chance to breathe (and grow). Plus, the chemical-laden supplies and harmful bacteria that come with the salon experience are not only bad for your nails, but can affect your overall health as well.
Leaving more time between booking your manicure appointments doesn’t mean you have to let your nails go rogue, as you can care for them at home with products that will enhance both the health and appearance naturally.
To start, we suggest trying out a DIY strengthening solution that is toxin free and easy to whip up (it involves only one main ingredient). You’ll be surprised by how well this natural strengthening recipe works, as well as with the progress of your nails after just a few weeks of prioritizing this routine.
What you’ll need:
Organic olive oil
Small (heat-safe) bowl
Saucepan or microwave
1. Heat a small amount of olive oil in a saucepan or microwave until warm.
2. Pour the warm oil into a small bowl and be sure it is cool enough to apply to the skin.
3. Using a cotton swab, coat the entire nail bed and underside of the nail with the oil and let it soak in for 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Rinse and dry your nails and leave without polish.
5. Repeat once a day for two weeks. Note: We suggest applying the solution after you’ve removed your nail polish (with toxin-free remover) to help restore moisture and nutrients.
Why it Works:
The reason why olive oil works so well on restoring nail health is because of the nutrients in it. It contains polyphenols which are a natural type of antioxidant, good at keeping cellular structure in tact. Polyphenols also protect your nails with their antifungal properties. These are key for keeping the bad chemicals from absorbing into your nail bed.
More Ways to Strengthen your Nails:
1. You can protect your nails by avoiding prolonged exposure to water, which allows the growth of bacteria and weakens the nail, by making a conscious effort to wear gloves while doing dishes or other house chores.
2. Along with applying olive oil to your nails, you can also add ingredients to your diet that help speed along the process. Biotin is a vitamin known for giving strength to hair, nails and skin, and eggs, almonds, and lentils are full of it.
3. Staying hydrated and drinking water will also keep your nails strong. The key is keeping a well-balanced diet, which will improve nail strength.
4. Constantly be applying hand lotion. One of the worst things in the world is hang nails, and they will only get worse if the cuticles are not moisturized.
5. Avoid using your nails to do the dirty work. Whenever you put pressure on your nails to open a can, or scratch off a sticker it can create a weak spot.
Will you try this natural nail strengthener?